Monday, December 12, 2011

Interviewers' Pet Peeves

Just like everyone else, experienced interviewers can name their pet peeves. Here are common pet peeves described by interviewers and tips for avoiding them.


• Smells: "You may think a spray of your favorite perfume or cologne will add just the right touch for our meeting. But my allergies and sense of smell warn me immediately that I want to get you out of our small meeting space as quickly as possible. Leave your fragrance at home, and you won't risk offending me."

• Communication - Too Little: "An applicant who won't talk exasperates me. Even when I prod for more information or ask for questions, I still have no luck. When I end the interview by saying, 'Now, it's your turn to ask questions,' some applicants don't have any. That when I know it's time to say goodbye and try for a better applicant. I want applicants who can describe how they can help my company."

• Communication - Too Much: "A chatterbox or rambler gets to me. If I ask a question and you're still trying to answer it ten minutes later, I'll wrap up the meeting and wish you a pleasant day. Candidates should stay focused and answer in two or three minutes the question I asked."

• Averting Your Eyes: "Nonverbal communication tells me as much about you as what you say. If you don't make eye contact, but look down, around, everywhere but at me, I know you're intimidated by the process. You won't succeed on teams where you're expected to contribute. I also distrust someone who won't look at me when I ask a question. If you are uncomfortable looking into someone's eyes, look at the third eye, just above and between the person's two eyes."

• Slang and Street Speak: "The way applicants use language really gets to me. Using 'awesome' and 'like' constantly shows immaturity. I also stop paying attention when applicants say 'um,' and 'uh' between every other word."

• Little Lies: "Small lies are too common. This includes not being completely truthful with relevant information and exaggerating accomplishments. Building trust during the interview is key to getting an offer."


Adapted from a Monster/Yahoo! article

No comments: