Friday, December 2, 2011

Career-Limiting Beliefs

Career experts know that your beliefs really do influence the outcome of your job search. Unless you believe you can and will find the job you want, you'll end up defeating yourself. Read these career-limiting beliefs and reframe yourself in a more constructive light.

Belief: I'm not good enough for the jobs out there.
Reframe your thinking: I'm as good as my resume says I am.
To change your thinking, list your positive accomplishments. Think about how you would look at another person with the same accomplishments. Would you be impressed with that person?
Belief: It's a terrible job market.
Reframe your thinking: People are still being hired, so why not me?
Some fields and jobs are going begging for qualified applicants. Look for jobs you like on a job site like Monster, then develop skills in those areas and change your resume to fit.
Belief: I can't get a job without experience, and I can't get experience without a job.
Reframe your thinking: I can make my own experience.
Remember that "valuable experience" is not the same as "paying job." Everything on a resume doesn't have to be paid experience. If lack of job experience is holding you back, volunteer or intern for no pay.


Adapted from Philly.com and Monster, November 6, 2011

No comments: