Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Be a person people like to be around!

Getting along is a job skill. In fact, it could be the most important one! How can you be sure people will want to work with you? Check off each item you’re sure is true about yourself. And, if you’re not sure a statement is true, what should you do differently?

____1. I do my part and more. I always finish my part on time because I don’t want to be seen as someone who dumps last-minute details on others.

____2. I never complain about people without telling them first what’s bothering me. I don’t like when someone complains to others about something I did without telling me, and I’m not going to be guilty of doing the same thing.

____3. I have enough to do taking care of myself, so I don’t point out flaws of other people. When asked, I give advice, but that’s different.

____4. My personal problems stay at home or in my head. I don’t want to make people uncomfortable by sharing too much or grumbling about a personal problem.

____5. I try not to let other people know when I feel defensive about what someone has done or said. I know some people see insults when they aren’t there, and I don’t want to think that way.

Adapted from a U. S. News article by Alison Green, author of Managing to Change the World: The Nonprofit Leader’s Guide to Getting Results

No comments: